Monday 26 March 2018

Pearl Pirie : part three


How does your work first enter the world? Do you have a social group or writers group that you work ideas and poems with?

Short Answer: Generally with a rhythm and a sense of blockage and nausea.

Long Answer: I’ve led workshop groups on and off for 15 years. I’ve been in one workshop circle or another for most of the years since 1986. A few years ago I was in a few concurrent workshop groups, 1 online continuously, a couple seasonally, 1 face-to-face weekly. I have internalized the typical feedback of the aesthetics of each group, and the usual lessons each offers.  There were several people I sent poems to as first readers for clarity or editing checks.

Now there are a couple people I send the occasional poem thingee to but not for feedback, just as a way to communicate. I’m in a quarterly group of KaDo but as much for the social and seminars.

I suppose that change reflects a shift in proportion to output. I used to make 1-5 poems a day and now 1 or 2 a month, if that. Or it reflects that I have a growing sense of the effect(iveness) of my words. Socialized for a finer theory of mind? Everything is speculation.

No comments:

Post a Comment